CSI Consulting LLC - Assisting Victims of American Immigration Fraud

Marriage Fraud
The I-864 Affidavit of Support
U Visas
powered by

My Blog

The U Visa, the gift that keeps on giving

In 2000, Congress, in passing the "Battered Immigrant Women's Protection Act or BIWPA, created a new classification of NON Immigrant visa, the Victim of Crime, or U, Visa. They never intended for this to be a stepping stone to permanent residence, a green card, and then US citizen.

The purpose was to allow victims of crime the ability to assist law enforcement in the investigation and prosecution of the offender. The visa would be valid for a maximum period of four years, the alien would be authorized to be employed during that time, would be able to travel in and out of the US, and would be able to receive public assistance or taxpayer funded benefits. Furthermore, the victim's family could also deprive the same benefit of a U Visa.

In an effort to ensure that this would not become a "back door" into the US or to see a uptick in the amount of fabricated and false allegations of crimes in order to get status in the US, Congress put a numerical limitation as to the number of visas that could be issued each fiscal year of 10,000 visas for the actual victims and no limitation to the number of family derivative visas being issued.

For the first 9 years of this visa's existence, from 2000-2009, we never saw the number of visa applications even coming close to the cap. In 2009 for example, there were just over 6,000 U Visas issued. However, in 2010, during  the Obama Administration, we began to see the number of U Visa application steadily increase and exceed the 10,000 cap. In 2010 there were just over 10,000 U Visa Applications filed. By the end of FY 2016 there were over 35,000 U Visa applications filed in that year alone, 3.5 times the limit set by Congress.

What USCIS did, is, instead of returning the applications for applicants that exceeded the 10,000 cap instructing them to reapply in the next fiscal year, they began to stockpile and backlog these applications creating a waiting list, the same type of waiting list, immigrant visa applicants have to wait on. By the end of FY 2016, the backlog/waiting list for U Visa Applications for the principal alien, not counting family members was in excess of 86,000 and by the end of the third quarter of FY 2017, the number had ballooned to over 103,000.

The reason why this happened was that despite Congress' intent to have this visa be a NON Immigrant visa, meaning no green card, no path to citizenship, USCIS established rules that allowed for a U Visa holder, after living here as a U Visa holder for three years, to convert their visa to that of an immigrant visa and get a green card even though it was never Congress' intent for that to happen.

As a result, at the end of third quarter of FY 2017, the total number of pending and backlogged U Visa applications, TO INCLUDE THE FAMILY MEMBERS OF THE "VICTIMS", skyrocketed to 177,340.

The question that must be asked and answered is: "When will all this end?" Answer: "Never", if the open border advocates and politicians on both sides of the aisle that derive a political benefit for helping "the huddled masses to breath free", have their way.

More on this vexing topic to follow in the weeks and months to come.

20 Comments to The U Visa, the gift that keeps on giving:

Comments RSS
Jack Reed on Friday, July 27, 2018 11:02 AM
I investigated several U-Visa Fraud Cases during my 14 year career. The numbers kept increasing as the level of vetting decreased. I too became frustrated to the point, that when I retired, I had to write a book.

bestdissertation on Monday, March 18, 2019 8:18 AM
I know how difficult getting a US Visa, they say US has one of the most powerful visa in the world. You can visit 37 countries around the world hassle free. Imagine the advantages of getting a US visa. Just by getting in their country is a major advantage. It's just disappointing that the government have issues and backlogs and might delay people's visa. I hope they will provide immediate actions to lessen the problem.

resumes online australia on Friday, September 14, 2018 4:13 PM
I think it's pretty hard to get this Visa. Maybe I am wrong.

123 on Thursday, October 18, 2018 2:53 AM
123

professional cv writing service on Friday, October 19, 2018 5:37 PM
Wow, this gift is precious. I am really happy for you, my friend! Good job.

Hiland on Monday, November 26, 2018 8:28 PM
I think this is a really good article. You make this information interesting and engaging. multiplayer basketball games online free

798 on Tuesday, December 18, 2018 12:32 AM
897978

do my dissertation for me on Friday, January 04, 2019 4:56 AM
I clearly stumbled upon your weblog and favored to mention that I’ve truely loved reading your blog posts. anyhow I’ll be subscribing in your feed and that i wish you submit once more quickly. Please keeps it top posting! thanks you a lot, I recognize your work.

1 dollar domain on Monday, January 14, 2019 4:13 AM
I might want to thank for the endeavors you have made in composing this post. I am trusting a similar best work from you later on also. I needed to thank you for this sites.

repliche franck muller orologi on Monday, April 01, 2019 9:23 AM
daughter about this great one of kind dinning experience.

Sons of Anarchy Bike on Wednesday, April 24, 2019 4:15 AM
I found this blog. Much appreciation to you for offering to us, I, everything considered, find some new data from your post. to a cerebrum boggling degree satisfying and I to an amazing degree like your article a commitment of Thankfulness is everything

tableclothsfactory on Saturday, June 01, 2019 7:45 PM
The U Visa, the gift that keeps on giving

wholesale eyelashes on Tuesday, June 04, 2019 2:51 AM
The U Visa, the gift that keeps on giving

professional assignment writers on Wednesday, July 10, 2019 10:55 AM
It's a real gift. I will try to keep that in mind. Thank you!

Best Proofreading tools for on Monday, July 15, 2019 2:09 AM
Best Proofreading tools for Mac Writing is a powerful medium of communication, it conveys your thoughts and emotions. So such a medium should be precise, error-free and should clearly convey your thoughts.

http://thethirdeye-photography.com/ on Friday, July 19, 2019 12:17 AM
http://thethirdeye-photography.com/ The Third Eye Photography For the Best Candid Wedding Photographer in Bangalore, You will surely fall in Love with our ...

Captain Marvel Jacket< on Friday, July 26, 2019 3:35 AM
This is a very sweet post and I am glad that this took place. I hope you have a similar sort of experience the next time too. And thank you for your feedback.

https://techthatmatter.com/ep on Wednesday, August 21, 2019 2:07 AM
https://techthatmatter.com/episode-choose-your-story-mod-apk If yes, then you will surely go crazy about the episode choose your story Mod Apk. ... The Episode Mod Apk is the modified version of the popular Android game, Episode – Choose Your Story. ... In this post, let’s see episode choose your story mod apk with unlimited gems & passes hack.

Yeezy on Thursday, August 22, 2019 9:07 PM

skytechblog on Thursday, September 05, 2019 11:25 PM
Much thanks to you such a great amount for sharing this article. Keep doing awesome check my blog